My fellow Badasses!
Taking just 5-10 minutes in the morning can help make you more productive. As a freelancer I’m always looking for ways to be more productive and to make better use of my time. It’s easy to fall into the trap of winging it, a bit of emailing here, tweeting there. Writing then stopping to make some phone calls. Sometimes it’s good to break up the day by doing a little of everything but sometimes you need to focus. You’ve got a deadline coming up or perhaps you’ve let a few tasks build up and now you need to play catch up.
These steps are simple and you can start right now. It’s a mix of bullet journaling, lists (I’m a big fan of lists, ticking something off a To-Do list is just so satisfying isn’t it?) and getting into the habit of prioritising.
So, let’s do this!
Take 2 sheets of blank paper and grab a pen.
- On the first blank sheet of paper take a few minutes to write out everything you need to get done today. List everything from meetings, emails, scheduling posts, etc
- Pick 3 things – These are the 3 things that HAVE to get done today, so put a star next to them.
- Pick 2 more things that COULD get done today if you have some more time and now put an arrow next to them.
Now it’s time to use the second blank sheet of paper!
Write down what time it is. Why? Because now the clock is ticking. This allows your mind to focus on the given task and it gives yourself an actual starting point. You can also get a better idea of how long you’re spending on one particular task.
- Pick the easiest/quickest thing on your starred list, write it down with the time and start the task. Starting with the easiest task gets the ball rolling and builds momentum.
- When you’ve finished that check it off or cross it out. Crossing things off lists makes us feel good because we’ve accomplished something, it helps us feel confident and in control.
- Now do the same thing with the 2nd starred thing on your list and so on.
Remember to write down the time you get started and the time you finished on each task.
- Once you’ve done the 3 starred tasks, and you have the time, move onto the tasks with an arrow next to it.
I hope these tips help you to be more productive and if you have any tips of your own leave them in the comments!
The Badass Manifesto